Sunday, March 25, 2007

Meeting the coincidence of cult...

We climbed over the stile and I felt the cold dampness of Spring grass beneath my feet. Down here, where the street lights couldn't catch us, the stars and moon were the new focus to our waking dream.

They had to carry me piggy-back across the field as I became petrified at the thought of standing on a slug in my bare feet. Tabbitha was tiny, almost a foot shorter than me. She gave carrying me a good try though, despite us toppling over more than once. We sang Janis Joplin sangs at the top of our voices. The forest heard us coming, that's for sure.

"Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town?
I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?"


The path into the woods was narrow and flanked by brambles and nettles. There was much laughter as I tried to hold my legs and feet clear of the dangers. It was so dark down here. Black as the devil's pupils to a girl in the midst of a colourful trip. I heard the site before I saw it. A blend of music, instruments and voices now told me that we were really close. I will never forget to this day my first view of this place. This paradise was nothing like the cold and solitary frame that Ian had took me too. I had never seen such beauty in my life. A huge bonfire burnt at the centre of this hippy Utopia. It was surrounded by travelers that sang with voices of angels and that ate food from God's own pantry. It seemed everyone had a smile for me. Some already knew me - 'Claire, welcome to our world' and some didn't 'John, where did you find the Shebari?'. Candle lanterns hung in the trees illuminating the paths between the benders and teepee's, puppies and dogs frolicked playfully around the feet of their owners and sweet music - music poured from everywhere. Then there were the colours, 'Oh the colours'. Hair dyed every accent of the rainbow, bodies draped in a myriad of patterns and hues, tattoos, blankets, piercings and jewelery, everywhere my eyes fell was enchanting to my soul. John dropped me carefully near the fire on a cushion. 'Claire's on a wonderful trip my Pralas. I want everyone to look after her and treat her well.' A chillum was passed to me by a smiling lady whose face was unfamiliar to me.
'Light, inhale, hold. Bon Shiva my friend.' She said. I did as she instructed then sat there for a while watching the raw beauty of the flames. The woman stared at me often during my time by the fire, I was too happy and drugged though to feel discomfort at this.

I started to feel very tired now.
The pill must have started to overtake the amphetamines as all I wanted to do was was curl up tight in paradise and sleep with my new found friends. Tabbitha shook me back to this place.
'Come Claire, wake up. Gypsy wants to meet you. I'll take you there.'
I was pulled passively to standing and held upright by Tabbitha and a man who I didn't know. We passed between two benders, smoke streaming from the chimneys, and climbed a small fence at the back of the site. This bender, looming in front of us was not like the others.
'Yo, Gypsy.' Called out the unknown male 'I'm here with the girls.' He pulled aside the tarpaulin and entered. This bender was so big that you could enter it standing. There was a corridor of sorts, then a doorway into the main room where Gypsy sat.
'Oh - my - God.' I was quite taken aback by this place 'It's beautiful'. I realised that Gypsy was the woman from the fire. The one that stared.
'What's your name Shebari?' As she turned to me this time I saw that much of her face was burnt and scarred.
'My name's Claire, Gypsy queen.' I smiled 'I'm Tabbitha's friend.' I could not stop staring around this room. A four poster bed stood in the middle, supporting the massive frame and a huge fire burnt at the back next to a Harley Davidson bike. It reminded me of a medieval castle with it's ornate hangings and candelabras. True magic was found here, of that I was sure.
'Well, Claire, I'm Gypsy Lee and that's my man, Nick. We are the reason that you are here.' She reached out and grabbed my hand affectionately 'Only you don't know it yet. But that's ok. Sit down. I have some speed for you and Tabbitha. You look sleepy Shebari.' I realised that her hand and arm were badly scarred too. I watched as Gypsy pulled out a mirror and cut lines of speed with a small knife. By now, my body did not know whether to run, fly or sleep, but I felt that I would not be able to say 'no' to this particular lady. She was Romany through and through form her accent to her attitude. She wore big leather bike boots, a leather waistcoat and a very short skirt. Her hair was cropped short and bleached white with a purple fringe and she had a confidence about her that I had never seen before. I saw her pull a spoon from the bedside table and scrape two of the lines of speed into its silver curve. When she turned to face me next she had a syringe held between her teeth. I had never seen anyone inject before and it fascinated me. Maybe it was the acid, maybe it was this strange and curious lady, or maybe it was something more. As she finished a small trickle of scarlet ran from her hand and spilled onto the animal skin rug on the floor. I fell to my knees to watch, saw another drop fall.
'What's she doing?' Asked Nick.
'Learning.' Said Gypsy 'She's been away for so long that she has forgotten all there is to know.' And she patted my head with her non-bloodied hand.
'Can I try that?' I asked, gesturing towards the syringe on the table.
'Not yet old friend. Your day will come. Tabbitha, you'll look after my She'enedra won't you?' Tabbitha took the tube and snorted a line.
'She can sleep in with us tonight Gypsy. Unless you need her here of course?'
Gypsy laughed the cackle of a woman that smoked too much tobacco 'Not tonight Tabbs. I think for Fifika, tomorrow will be a better time.' I took my line of speed and chattered away until the Rohypnol finally won the war and sank me back into subservient sleep.

The next thing that I was aware of was being carried by two men, out of the bender, out into the cold of the early morning. I heard Tabbitha's voice too, but seemed unable to open my eyes. I must have passed out again for I have no memory of my arrival to this next place.

Ian's Place.

I slept nearest the bender wall, with Tabbitha between myself and Ian. I was worried about my rats, I wondered where they were. My emotions still too muted by the drugs to worry about my companions. I awoke to the hushed voices of Tabbitha and Ian talking outside. They were saying goodbye. Tabbitha had to go to work. I pretended to still be asleep when Ian came back inside. There was that smell again, the smell of must and patchouli. I felt a hand work its way under the blankets and between my legs. 'Fuck off Ian' I turned to face him. 'I'm not going to fuck you today.'
'Shut up. Course you are.' His hand moved again so I kicked out at his arm 'I said no Ian.' And with that I left his place, never to return again. I felt liberated, but also like shit as I walked back to the main site. I was so thirsty I would have killed for a drink and my head throbbed with the acid memory of the night before. I wanted to see Gypsy again. See if the magic had been in the drugs or in her veins. I was soon to have my very perception of being, smashed and warped by this woman. Things were on the change again.

Continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home